Monday 26 May 2014

Sunny Brighton...

Happy Bank Holiday to those of you in the UK and a big Hello to those of you who aren't.

Got to tell you about a play I attended yesterday at the Brighton Fringe Festival with my cousin Jacqueline Crooks.

'Unclouded Moon' is a humorous, but moving play regarding three women over three generations of Irish decent.  The play takes you on a journey of each woman's personal experience, having been defined by the cultural background they were raised in and each suffering in their own way, wanting to break free and justify their own definitive self.

I found this play to be well presented with impacting focus, positioning you right in the heart of the characters.  At one point, I felt a lump try to stifle me as I related to a particular scene and realised that any woman could find a connection with the play where diversity stands.

I came away feeling revived and encouraged.  My cousin Jacqueline, made it an exceptional experience with her insight and enthusiasm.

The weather was fantastic and rather than head straight home, I chose to walk the promenade, treating myself to the great british tradition of fish & chips.

Returning home on the train, I was alone, but felt calm and focused with a clear plan in my head for what I need to do next with my writing.  I realised that I only need to believe in myself and have the confidence to go forward.  I should also stop allowing the opinions of others to overwhelm me and trust more in myself.

I have a passion and regardless of whether it's an actual talent or not, it's the only thing that really uplifts me and sets me free from my own bird cage.  I don't need the approval of others, I only need my own and self-belief can achieve many a wonderful thing.   




No comments:

Post a Comment