Wednesday 28 May 2014

R.I.P Maya Angelou

"If you don't like something, change it.  If you can't change it, change your attitude".  Maya Angelou.

What a sad, sad day to hear of the passing of Maya Angelou, aged 86.  A true inspiration to many throughout her amazing life and I'm sure she'll inspire many more through her words and works that certainly made me long to be a great writer one day.

The very first book I read that was of my own choosing and not from the school list of recommendations, was "I know why the caged birds sing".  I came across the book in a library and was drawn to its cover.  The title made me curious to know too, why the caged birds sing.  I was not expecting the content of this book, but once read, I was hooked on all she wrote.

As an adult woman, the poem " Phenomenal Woman" spoke to me, as if it was me Maya was talking about.  Still today I relate to this poem and have found no other to replace its fervent message.

She will be surely missed by all who knew her and knew of her.

Another legendary role model taken from us, but imprinted in our hearts.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment